Caramel Popcorn

Popcorn + Paper bag + Microwave = Mmmmm...

The other night, I made some caramel popcorn. I got the recipe when one of my friends did an enrichment mini-class on "gifts that taste good". You know...We ALL need more ideas than just a plate of cookies. It's a great recipe & pretty easy too. You end up with kind of a "Cracker Jacks" type of popcorn (not usually as dark though). Here's the recipe. Try it!

Microwave Caramel Popcorn
You need about 16 C popped popcorn. I used 2 bags of microwave popcorn - which is a little less I think. Put the popped popcorn into a paper grocery bag. Place 1/2 C butter, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 C brown sugar & 1/4 C light corn syrup into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high 1-2 minutes until caramel mixture bubbles. Stir, then cook 3 minutes more - stirring after each minute. Add 1/2 tsp baking soda & 1 tsp vanilla and stir. Pour mixture all over popcorn in paper bag. Fold the bag down several times (so it fits back in microwave) & cook on high 1 minute. Shake the bag. Cook 1 minute more, then shake. Cook 30 seconds, then shake and 30 seconds more & shake again. Then pour out on the counter to cool (on foil or waxed paper).

This stuff is SO good. I didn't think to take a picture until it was almost gone. Like I said, I used 2 bags of Microwave popcorn, so that should give you an idea of the batch size. I don't think I would recommend doubling the batch, because you want to be able to shake it to coat everything evenly. BEWARE - The bag gets hot! I usually hold the top where it is folded & use a potholder to pinch the bottom of the bag.

Pick up a few bags at the grocery store, you won't be able to reuse them after this.

Comments

Jesmyluk said…
We are having game night at our house tomorrow night before the Breaking DSawn Book release Party at B&N. I will bemaking this popcorn. Yumm, can't wait!!

Popular posts from this blog

Chuck E. Cheese...Yay!??!

Avery Updates

Video Friday